August 30, 2007

My first day...

So I spent my first day at school yesterday. And first of all, the kids are soooo cute! And funny! I spent the morning with the preschoolers, who I might be teaching. There were only 4 kids in one class and 3 in the other!! Talk about one on one! The one question that most people asked me was how do you teach kids English when they speak Korean!?? Well the answer to that is that they are not allowed to speak Korean at English school!! And most of them speak very good English. Alot of them have lived overseas, from New Zealand to Africa, to America and Panama!! Some of them are more travelled than me!!!

So here's how the day goes....
I have to be there at 9:20 to prep, then class starts at 9:50am, there are 2 40 minutes sessions in the morning, with a 10 minute break between, then lunch for 40 minutes. One more 40 minute session with the same kids, then morning classes are over and I have prep time from 1:30 to 3:00. Afternoon classes start, and are 40 minutes long. On Mon, Wed, Fri, there are 6 40min classes, with 5 min breaks. And on Tue, and Thur, there are 5 40 minutes classes. All of the work is all planned for you and there are lots of work books, and supplies. It is all very organized. So you just have to decide on some strategies to use, but basically its all done for you. You can change it a bit, depending on how your class is going, but basically you just follow what they have planned for you. Easy.

There are 3 teachers who are leaving the school and their last day is on Friday, so it's a bit busy at the school right now with all the old and new teachers around. Three of us are there now, and the last new teacher comes late tonight. Tomorrow we are all going for a staff lunch. Oh and there are also some Korea teachers there to help with the kids, all very nice. They feed them, herd them around, make sure they are behaving, get stuff ready for you, etc. But they are not in the class when you teach. All of the teaching staff is from Canada! So much for meeting new people from other countries! Ha ha. But there are lots of English Language schools in the area, so lots of foreigners running around! The school is in the main down town area, with lots of restaurants and bars, and even NA food chains.

Anyways, I gotta go to the school. Will write more later!! Much cooler weather today which is nice. The other day was very hot and humid. Cloudy and only 21 today!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey babe!
Great to hear you are there and enjoying the first few days of your new adventure! Wish I could join you!
I have a friend that is in South Korea that I just remembered. I will email you her info if you like. Luv ya, take care!
Tracer