September 12, 2007

Life in Suji

Hello!! Sorry for the lack of updates. The past couple of weeks have been CRAZY busy. So heres how things stand......

So I am officially teaching Kindergartens in the morning. I have a class of 11 kids and they are fantastic. I must say I have the best of the four classes!! Am I biased? Maybe. But really, they are great. Super cute, they listen great, hard workers and full of little jokesters. More pics of them to come. We start at 9:50am with three 40 minute classes, a 40 minute lunch break, and then one more 40 minute class. After that I have prep time from 1:30-3:00 everyday. Love it. Its great but you need that time everyday. Aside from planning, we have to check that the students are doing their online homework. The kids in Korea work sooo hard. Lots of them are in school until 9 or 10 at night! Its nuts. After regular school they go to English school, math school, art school, music lessons, and sports. They work soo hard here. Its amazing. You gotta feel sorry for them sometimes. The kids are at least a year ahead compared to kids at home.

After prep time, on M/W/F, I have six 40 minute classes, so I am off at 7:30pm. On Tuesday I have five 40 minute classes and on Thursday I have 3 40 minute classes. It makes for a long week and late nights. By the time we are done, go have dinner and make it home, its at least 9pm. Everyone who works at the school is great. Get along with everyone. There are some characters. There have been jokes that we should have our own reality show. Some of the stuff that goes on in the teachers room is pretty hilarious.

At school I am called Lindsay Teacher. Its a sign of respect to call the teacher by "teacher". "TEEEAACCCHHHHAAAH" is a constant word that is called. Its pretty funny, the way they say it.

I'm sure you're wondering what I am eating. And yes, I know your thinking it, I AM EATING RICE ALMOST EVERYDAY!!!! I know, I know. Me and rice. I know. We get lunch at school for free, so we get what the kids get. Its not the best food. We're talking school cafateria food, Korean style. But its not too bad. Nothing a little soya sauce cant fix!! Ha. Tonight we went to the best Korean BBQ with John and Larry, then me and Nikki and watched a movie and had a bottle of wine. Last weekend we went to a funky shopping district and out to a cool bar in Itewan, a very touristy area, but with lots of good stuff for foreigners. Then Sunday I went sight seeing in Suwon, as you've seen from the pics!!

So this weekend we have a workshop all day on Saturday for the teachers of Poly. Its going to be in Seoul, so I'm sure we'll do something after. Since we seriously live in the burbs out is Suji. Its about a 40 minute bus ride, or a $30 cab ride to the city. Kind of a pain, but will be good for saving money.

So thats it for now. If you have any questions then email me!!!! Sorry for the lack of emails, but honestly life has been crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

here i was just getting used to not checking out the great fantastic canadian pics you've been taking and what do you do, go and hop a plane and start the process all over again in korea. grrrrrrrr. do you realise i'm busy.... :-P

sounds like your having fun lindsay, enjoy seoul, i hear its an awesome place. For me its singapore, hong kong and png in my next trip plans.

ebr

Lindsay said...

haha, sorry about that. what was i thinking!? only thinking of me! ha. looking forward to seeing you pics! cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chicka!
Lovin all the photos and commentary! Missin you!
tracer