November 21, 2005

Ok, so just let me vent for a minute.........the computers in this country SUCK! I hate them. It takes me about 4 hours to load the pics on the web. They are sooo slow, they freeze just after I have written a long blog or email(only after), they won´t download the program I need to load pics on my blog, nothing freakin works and I cant´t read spanish!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! I want to throw this computer through the wall!!!!

Siiiiiiggghhhhhhh!!! Ok, breath through it.........lets start AGAIN......

So, Buenos Aries.....after the shock of leaving Mendoza and coming to a city of 14 million people, we began to appreciate the city and enjoy all that it had to offer. It took us a few days, but we met some great new people and had a fantastic time there. Here are some of the things we did and saw.....in no particular order......

One of the areas we visited is called San Telmo. It is one of the oldest areas of the city, which is evident in the old architecture and cobbled streets. It also has a English bar there that serves fantastic Green Thai Curry!!! So good! Anyways, on Sundays they have an antiques market, which is by far the most bizarre market we have been too. The streets are busy with tourists and the vendors selling anything from old mate cups to jewlery to cutlery. The thing that made it so strange was that most of the vendors were dressed in costumes. Little old ladies dressed as angels and men as Batman or Egyptian Pharohs!!! They even had a band playing and they all started dancing together. I saw the Pink Panther boogie down with a red elephant!! Very entertaining. They also had lots of street performers, and old lady who dressed like a hooker that you could get your photo taken with! We also enjoyed a free tango show in the streets. Ohhh!!! One other thing of interest that happened that day....we went for lunch at an old cafe. As I was about to take my last bite of my really good chicken, I found the darkest, shortest, curliest hair!!!! Needless to say I didn´t have to pay for my meal!

Another area of the city we went to is called Palermo. Very trendy, good shopping and lots of funky bars and cafes. Me and Aggie had a wicked lunch at a vegetartian resturant, which is hard to find here, since all they eat is meat! The shopping in BA is some of the best, but I much prefer the markets, with all the arts and crafts. I haven´t bought a lot here but have splurged on a few things I loved.

Many, many nights in BA were spent hanging out with our new friends at Hostel Clan, drinking the nights away and either staying in or finding a place to dance the night away. A couple of the nights they had a big BBQ at the hostel and then out to a club. I have great pics from the last one! In BA no one goes out until about 2am, and they go home around 6 or 7am. That took some getting used to, so we had to keep practicing!! We are very good at it now.

By far the best night in BA was Creamfields. This is a HUGE electronic music festival in a park. There was around 60,000 people there this year. It was amazing! That afternoon our new friends Wez and Bec made breakfast for about 20 people at the hostel. A great way to start the day. We hung out there until about 7pm and then to another hostel for drinks and finally to Creamfields. I have never seen such a huge lineup to get in somewhere! But it moved fairly quickly, thank god! Inside we met up with some other people from the hostel, and we had a fanstatic group of 9 people for the night. We all stuck together, expect when we lost Paul for a few hours, and had a great time. Some of the people we saw included David Getter(a wicked French DJ, Tre...you would have loved him.....all the good ol tunes!!), Prodigy(yes they are still around and we had sooo much fun dancing to them! weird), Two Many DJ´s, and finally Paul Okenfold!!! And a few more we didnt know the names of. It was an amazing night. We danced until 6am, as the sun was coming up. As we left the park, with 60,000 other people, the sun was rising behind us, and everyone was cheering and clapping. What an amazing feeling. I´ll never forget that moment.

AAhhhh, we also finally learned some spanish!! We took lessons for 5 days, 2 hours a day. Not that much, but it gave me a basis to start from and I feel I can attempt to speak a little to the locals. And we can understand so much more now when people speak to us. So it was definatly worth it. Hopefully my learning will continue!

Ok I´m getting a little nervous that this computer isn´t going to work, so I´m going to publish this and write more later.....

No comments: